Post by Dave Homewood on Feb 23, 2010 9:08:36 GMT 12
This thread is a place for new (or old) members to introduce themselves with a little infomation to help break the ice and get some discussion going. Please copy the questions below and fill in some answers, or add whatever you feel is appropriate.
- What is your name? - How old are you? - Where are you from? - Are you male or female? - How did you find this forum? - How long have you been a fan of Dad's Army? How did you discover it, etc? - What are your most favourite eipsodes? - Who are your favourite characters? - What is your favourite Croft and Perry Series? - Have you any suggestions for the forum or for Dave Homewood's website's Dad's Army section?
Last Edit: Nov 12, 2020 2:40:36 GMT 12 by Alan Hayes
Post by Dave Homewood on Feb 23, 2010 9:20:14 GMT 12
- What is your name? Dave Homewood
- How old are you? 39
- Where are you from? Cambridge, New Zealand
- Are you male or female? Male
- How did you find this forum? I created it
- How long have you been a fan of Dad's Army? How did you discover it, etc? I was 14 in 1985 when some re-runs came on TV and other kids at school were talking about how great it was. I began to watch and was hooked ever since. I began to record episodes and eventually sought more info, writing to TV companies and magazines, etc. Eventually I wrote to Jimmy Perry and Bill Pertwee as a fan and became friends with them. In 1990 I became the first ever member of the Dad's Army Appreciation Society which Bill was involved with but the then leader of it - Dave Lovering - lost interest and it collapsed. In 1993 I went to the UK and joined the revamped DAAS, meeting Tadge Muldoon as well as Bill, Jimmy, Frank and Pam. In March 1995 I established the DAAS NZ Branch and ran it for nine years till life took over and I had no time left to concentrate on it. In 2008 I started a section on my website devoted to the series, and shortly afterwards I created this forum which has been growing in popularity since. It is a sequel to the DAAS NZ Branch but has not yet reached the same popularity. Spread the word. I have done a lot of research into the series and actors over the years, both for my own magazine and books, and helping several other authors who wrote about those topics. I still love the series after all these years.
- What are your most favourite eipsodes? There are loads but I love All Is Safely Gathered In; Asleep In The Deep; The Deadly Attachment; Come In, Your Time Is Up; Operation Kilt; A Stripe For Frazer.... I could go on...
- Who are your favourite characters? Frazer is my most favourite followed by Mainwaring. I love them all though.
- What is your favourite Croft and Perry Series? Dad's Army for sure, but closely followed by You Rang M'Lord then It Ain't Half Hot Mum.
- Have you any suggestions for the forum or for Dave Homewood's website's Dad's Army section? No comment from me
- How did you find this forum? I can't remember but possibly from a link on the DAAS website
- How long have you been a fan of Dad's Army? How did you discover it, etc? I have very vague memories of it as a child but I discovered my love of it by accident about two years ago when I was desperate for something to watch - Dad's Army was the only thing in the house I hadn't seen (I hadn't watched it because I thought I wouldn't like it) I was hooked from the first episode!
- What are your most favourite eipsodes? A very difficult question because there are many contenders. I love Sons of the Sea, Branded. For some reason, I also especially enjoy the episodes where the platoon go off camping or away for the weekend.
- Who are your favourite characters? Again, a tricky question but it would probably have to be Wilson although I think they're all great.
- What is your favourite Croft and Perry Series? Dad's Army - hands down.
- Have you any suggestions for the forum or for Dave Homewood's website's Dad's Army section? More of the same :-) A great place.
I'm looking forward to reading introductions from others!
Winchester. Deep in beautiful Jane Austen country. Currently in exile following Soldier husband around from Post to Post and missing 'home' terribly.
Are you male or female?:
How did you find this forum?
God bless Google
How long have you been a fan of Dad's Army? How did you discover it, etc?:
Gathered around the telly with my Mum, Dad and brother laughing like drains when it was first shown - so 40 years!
What are your most favourite eipsodes?
That's an impossible question. If I was going to be tortured I would probably wheel out, 'Fallen idol' -'Here's to the health of Cardinal Puff!' makes me cry with laughter' - and 'Sons of the sea' but they are all fab.
Who are your favourite characters?
Mainwaring, Wilson, Jonesey, Godfrey and Walker.
What is your favourite Croft and Perry Series?
DA - by a mile.
Have you any suggestions for the forum or for Dave Homewood's website's Dad's Army section?
- How did you find this forum? I think it was through Dave's website.
- How long have you been a fan of Dad's Army? How did you discover it, etc? I've been a fan since about 1985. The first episode I ever watched was Getting the Bird with my Grandad. I loved the show instantly!
- What are your most favourite episodes? Many favourites but I particularly love Asleep in the Deep, Operation Kilt, All is Safely Gathered In, Branded, The Test, Getting the Bird, The Honourable Man.
- Who are your favourite characters? Walker
- What is your favourite Croft and Perry Series? Dad's Army of course but I also like Hi De Hi.
- Have you any suggestions for the forum or for Dave Homewood's website's Dad's Army section? Forum: Maybe a general chit chat thread or some DA related games. Website: A links page!
Post by Dave Homewood on Feb 25, 2010 9:29:31 GMT 12
Hi Katy, there's a whole General Board on the forum for discussions unrelated to Dad's Army.
How do you mean games? Like computer games?
A links page would be gtood, I should sort that out.
I just remembered another favourite episode of mine, The Big Parade. It's great, especially the farm scenes.
Although i recall seeing the end credits every Sunday when I got out of the bath as a wwee child the first episode I ever saw properly in 1984 was Sgt Wilson's Little Secret. I didn't know that the BBC had lost/misplaced it back then. TVNZ showed it.
- How long have you been a fan of Dad's Army? How did you discover it, etc?
Watched it as a kid, but my love for it enhanced when it was released on DVD and now me and the missus watch it pretty much constantly.
- What are your most favourite eipsodes?
SO many to name, but off the top of my head......Room At The Bottom, Branded, Absent Friends, Two and a Half Feathers, Fallen Idol, If The Cap Fits and My British Buddy.
- Who are your favourite characters?
It used to be Walker, but the more I see of Frazer, the more I realise how superb an actor John Laurie was. Watched The Godiva Affair last night and he has some of the best lines and delivers them wonderfully.
- What is your favourite Croft and Perry Series?
DA of course.
- Have you any suggestions for the forum or for Dave Homewood's website's Dad's Army section?
Links to other DA sites - I'm a member of Whispers From Walmington. Be nice if members moved about and talked to each other more.
Great to see a new member on the forum. I love Ring Dem Bells too - so funny. Every time someone mentions their favourite episode I tend to think "Oh yes, that's one of mine too." There are just so many. I like all the episodes you mention and another firm favourite for me is "Sons of the Sea."
Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts :-)
Actually the Dad's Army pages are a sub-section of my main website which is NZ aviation related.
You have some good favourite shows there, and interesting that almost all of them include a challenge to the authority in the pecking order - eg: Room At The Bottom - Mainwaring is demoted, Wilson takes over Branded - Godfrey undermines everyone with his "cowardice" Absent Friends - Mainwaring's authority is challenged by the men, weaknening his command Two and a Half Feathers - Jones's rank is challenged by Clark Fallen Idol - Again the men lose respect for Mainwaring and weken his command over them If The Cap Fits - Frazer takes over and demotes the NCO's while belittling the captain's ideals and decisions My British Buddy - the Yanks challenge Mainwaring's status as protector of the town
I think it's probably safe to say my favourite one is the one I'm watching at the time since they are all so good.
Dave: You're right in your surmising. I enjoy the changing roles in those episodes. I always thought it would have been good for Wilson to have more of a crack at leading the platoon in Fallen Idol and I would love to have seen more of Walker's sergeant in If The Cap Fits, but they only had 30 minutes and there just wasn't enough time.
Agreed. There was also an episode (I forget which one) where Wilson calls Mainwaring the same thing, and it's a taste of modern TV which, so acceptable nowadays, is so noticeable and slightly uncomfortable in DA.
Don't get me wrong - I'm no prude by any means, but it's unusual to hear any kind of profanity in such a gentle show as DA, that it sticks out like a sore thumb.
So, how exactly do I go about getting an avatar and a pic in my sig like you guys? I can only find reference to using a URL to upload one. Does that mean I have to use another website's photo in a page of it's own, small enough to fit, in order to have one?